DPReview Publishes 808 vs. 1020 Studio Comparison! My Remarks

Started Oct 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dominick101 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: DPReview Publishes 808 vs. 1020 Studio Comparison! My Remarks

Menneisyys wrote:

Article HERE.

1, at ISO 800 (versus 400), the sharpness of the 1200 gets a MAJOR hit. This isn't the only shot where this is evident – for example, as I've also explained in the comments section (see the comment starting with “Yup, the Z1 shot at ISO 400 1/10 s, while the Nokia at ISO 800, 1/9 sec.”), the nigh image set on the second page of DPReview's “Shootout: Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 vs LG G2 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom ” is also showing exactly this.

This is why the gradually decreasing text size test delivers incomparably worse results with the 1200 than with the 80:

In daylight and base ISO, there's practically no difference between the two cameras:

2, the lower effective resolution is also visible in the double-res ISO 12233 lines.

At around 3700 lph, the 808 still delivers true detail at high ISO, unlike the 1200, which stops delivering detail at around 3200 lph:

In bright light (and base ISO), both have approximately the same resolution (around 4000 lph):

3, finally, the left/righ border area (including the corners) softness is just incomparable. The 808 delivers way better results. A base ISO crop (so that the lower resolving power of the 1020 at ISO 800 doesn't have any effects of the results):

Thanks for the deep analysis. However, I beg to differ on two points below:

Comparison 1: The text showing both cameras having almost the same detail in good lighting but the level of noise isn't equal. Notice how noisy the 1020 image is, also looking at the middle line where edge-bleeding is evident. The noise on the 1020 at base ISO is a concern because as we know the 1020 applies a higher level of sharpening to their image to bring up the level of detail which also introduces more noise. So if Nokia were to bring down edge sharpening to minimize noise, won't we be seeing less detail on the text? For that reason, there's a direct relationship between noise and detail level, and I don't think their performance is similar in this case.

Comparison 2 (daylight): I think there's a very big difference between the both and they are definitely not on par. The 1020 in daylight only manages around 3600lph whereas the 808 does 4000lph. Look how smudgy it is at 4000lph on the 1020? I don't think the lines are at all defined at 4000lph on the 1020. Again, we're seeing more noise (and edge-bleeding) on the 1020 which could be the reason why the lines are less defined than on the 808. The sharpening on the 1020 is actually a paradox because while it helps bring up the level of detail, it also destroys detail by introducing more noise.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow