New version of Aperture announced!

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
donsullivan Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Why new features then?

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

donsullivan wrote:

It's just another compatibility release. This seems to confirm Aperture is now in maintenance support.

If it's just "maintenance support" then why are there new features like SmugMug support, new iCloud integration, integration of Apple Maps...

That means people are working on the application, not just fixing bugs (which is what maintenance support would mean). We don't know they are doing lots of work on Aperture 4.0 but we know they are doing something, and a newer version of Aperture sometime around the release of the Mac Pro would make a lot of sense.

I'll give you that Smugmug support is new (and extremely minor) but everything else in this release is nothing more than bug fixes and keeping it compatible with the latest software/hardware released from Apple.  With few exceptions, that's pretty much all we've seen for years now is just compatibility updates so that it keeps working with the latest hardware (something had to support Retina displays last year) and software services (iCloud integration) from Apple.

I've been an Aperture user since version 1 and still think it has the best Digital Asset Management capabilities out there. However it has fallen way, way behind other competitive tools in actual image processing and there is simply no factual data that we should expect that to change. While DAM is important, the ability to effectively process the images I shoot in the end is more important and Aperture just doesn't cut it any longer.

Apple announced the details of the new MacPro last week, if they had a new Aperture in the pipeline wouldn't it have made sense to spend a few minutes on it there and note that it's coming later with the new Mac Pro. Instead we got another compatibility update in 3.5.

I see a lot of wishful thinking, but absolutely no facts that anything other than bug fixes and hardware/software compatibility should be expected in the future. To me, that is the definition of a software product being in maintenance mode.

I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if a major release eventually shows up but right now there are just no facts that it's going to happen, just wishful thinking.

donsullivan's gear list:donsullivan's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow