DPReview Publishes 808 vs. 1020 Studio Comparison! My Remarks

Started Oct 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,800
Re: DPReview Publishes 808 vs. 1020 Studio Comparison! My Remarks

How much of an improvement will it be when Nokia delivers on RAW for the Lumia 1020? It will be interesting to find out the 1020's capabilities then. Too bad it doesn't have a built in SD card slot. 32GB is going to be inadequate, fast.

Article HERE.

1, at ISO 800 (versus 400), the sharpness of the 1200 gets a MAJOR hit. This isn't the only shot where this is evident – for example, as I've also explained in the comments section (see the comment starting with “Yup, the Z1 shot at ISO 400 1/10 s, while the Nokia at ISO 800, 1/9 sec.”), the nigh image set on the second page of DPReview's “Shootout: Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 vs LG G2 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom ” is also showing exactly this.

This is why the gradually decreasing text size test delivers incomparably worse results with the 1200 than with the 80:

In daylight and base ISO, there's practically no difference between the two cameras:

2, the lower effective resolution is also visible in the double-res ISO 12233 lines.

At around 3700 lph, the 808 still delivers true detail at high ISO, unlike the 1200, which stops delivering detail at around 3200 lph:

In bright light (and base ISO), both have approximately the same resolution (around 4000 lph):

3, finally, the left/righ border area (including the corners) softness is just incomparable. The 808 delivers way better results. A base ISO crop (so that the lower resolving power of the 1020 at ISO 800 doesn't have any effects of the results):

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow