"Nex" has become an iconic brand name...

Started Oct 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Philnw2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,507
Re: They don't sell well in the USA...

RedRockRed wrote:

I was steered toward NEX by a word-of-mouth reference too. When I went to Best Buy to see the line, the guy on duty in cameras that day seemingly never heard of it until I asked for one. The Sony-furnished NEX display case was small and virtually conceals them from the otherwise open display of of all the other cameras. Nikon's DSLRs and mirrorless get nice large central counter. Makes me wonder if Sony has dedicated photo gear reps working with retailers or if their reps handle everything from big screen TVs to ear buds.

I don't care what they call the next NEX either...but their "no more NEX brand" statement is ambiguous and they knew it.

I had read and seen pictures of the Nex before i saw it in the Best Buy store.  At first it was on a desirable end of the aisle location. The clerk didn't know much about it or have much interest in it.  I didn't buy anything for 6 months at least, then i bought a discounted 5n.  Much later i was into Best buy to shop for something else and found the Nex on a lower shelf sort of hidden out of the way.  Maybe Nex cameras were designed and managed by a specific project team that didn't push it in the USA like other Sony products, i don't know, but something's different about how it was sent out.

I agree with you about the ambiguous statement, its almost as if they are releasing a test balloon.  Press releases don't get out generally without each and every word being parsed.

Phil B
Nex 6, 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow