New version of Aperture announced!

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Alan Thomas
Mark Alan Thomas Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Re: Ooops Again!

I guess it’s not so much the fact that the software is proprietary, as the way that proprietary software enables companies to lock you in. It steals the balance of power. I have every photo I’ve ever taken in both Lightroom and Aperture as a hedge against being trapped in either one, and now I’m beginning to see that all I’ve done is trap my photos twice over. It’s kind of funny. I know it’s a bit hyperbolic to describe it as being “trapped” but it effectively works out that way. I’ll quote something I just wrote to someone in the Apple Aperture forum on Apple.com:

When I think long and hard about it, these programs haven’t really saved me any time or improved my photos in any meaningful way. On the contrary, they have caused me endless grief, frustration, and uncertainty.

I don’t need my software to do much. I adjust exposure, and I crop, and that’s about it. Aperture has powerful DAM functionality, and I can spend hours gleefully creating complex smart albums in order to view photos in ways I don’t really need to view them, but what have I really gained other than an unshakable sense of self-doubt about the choices I have made? I’m starting to realize that these applications haven’t actually solved any problems for me. They’ve only created a lot of problems I never had before.

It’s funny. I went through this same thing with font management a while back. I tried every font manager out there, from Font Book to Suitcase to FontExplorer (I even toiled for a while with Fontcase), and ultimately went back to a simple folder structure whereby to install a font I just drag it from one folder to the other.

This is where I am now with photography software.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow