(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: New version of Aperture announced!

Mark Alan Thomas wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Mark Alan Thomas wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Mark Alan Thomas wrote:

fotophool wrote:

New Mac Pro doesn't ship until December.

I suspect that's when you'll see the new, improved Aperture 4.

And if today's announcements (free OS & App upgrades) are anything to go by, there's at least an outside chance that it'll be free.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

The new iWork apps for Mac have been stripped down (crippled) for feature parity with iOS, so I hope that if there is an Aperture 4, it’s nothing like the new iWork. Pages has been basically gutted.

Mark are you sure that features haven't simply been hidden or made less obvious, typical of a lot of Apple software?

Well, I’m still poking around, but the overall impression I’m getting is that Apple took Pages for iOS, and wrapped it in a Mac app container. Version 5.0 is 200 MB smaller than the previous version too. Even the ability to have facing pages is just g…gone.

The good news, if it can be called that, is that the older version of iWork ’09 I had is still there, untouched, in its original “iWork” folder.

Interesting, I could see then how that would be a cause for concern when Aperture gets its X.0 update. On the positive side, hopefully Apple learned its lesson with the Final Cut X update and they don't end up upsetting and alienating current Aperture users. Even though I use Lightroom I would love to see a new and much more capable Aperture. If it is a big enough improvement over Lightroom I would not hesitate to switch back. At the very least Adobe needs the competition otherwise Lightroom will end up stagnating just like the dominant Photoshop. That said, I'm not dependent on future versions of Lightroom since I don't swap cameras very often and all my RAW is done in SPP.

Yesterday, I was optimistic about Aperture’s future. I’m not now. The gutting of iWork is the first clear sign to me that Apple is determined to push iOS at the expense of the Mac, and I’ve lost my trust in them. Really bummed here.

It's disappointing that Apple doesn't at least say anything. A lot of professionals depend on Aperture. I generally support Apple's privacy policy but not when it comes to professional products. They need to be very communicative when it comes to those.

There is still a chance an X.0 update will come with the selling date of the Mac Pro.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow