Is F 1.2 really that difficult ??

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 10,861
There was a poster on Dx forums ..

miles green wrote:

Yes, f/1.2 is difficult to make, and to use. I have a 50/1.2 which i use with an aps-c camera. Regarding fast wide lens (35mm equivalent about) aps-c is in about the same boat as MFT. Actually you guys might be better off. And yes, i would love a 20mm f/1.4 for aps-c, but....

These are specialty lens, designed for a specific use: portraiture in proper lighting. At such speeds, it's hard to make a lens with few chromatic aberrations, so there are tradeoffs. They are designed for good center sharpness, and a bokeh with smooth transition, hopefully with well-controlled longitudinal chromatic aberrations (but that's expensive). You're likely to have some haloing / blooming, which can be used to your advantage. For non-portraiture, such a lens is at a disadvantage compared to a much cheaper f/1.4 lens, as it will be more prone to flare, have less contrast, more distortion and vignetting, purple fringing in high contrast areas, etc... It's a moody lens, and it's easy to be disappointed by it if you're not using it within its design limitations. What you do get is a different look, a different rendering, and slightly blurrier backgrounds.

.. who liked this lens. As for example,

Nikkor ais 50mm f1.2 the fastes Nikon lens

Not in a good light, yet does not look that horrible to me. He used to post the whole bunch of images, and they were very good I thought.

From the same perspective the frame would be wider on FF.

For better subject isolation, you're better off using a longer focal length and step back, which also allows you to select your background more carefully.

But then it is not the same as with the wider but shallow view. It's the whole point of his post as I read it.

If you stop down you also get more of your subject in focus.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of a fast lens.

IMHO, to isolate your subject, you want both a blurred background and a sharp subject.

Nothing wrong with it, and it is how it usually is anyway.

At f/1.2 the only sharp thing in a portait will be your subject's eyes, IF (big if) you manage to get them in focus. If your subject it not facing you directly, only one eye will be in focus.

Depends on the framing, but I don't think so. For candid shots I think this would be an interesting lens.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow