Is F 1.2 really that difficult ??

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
Re: the colors do rock

While I do get the point about not using it full open when you are very close to the subject, that makes a lot of sense, BUT at normal working distance to human subjects, I do find that I use my 45 mm 1.8 and 20 mm 1.7 almost exclusively full open, all the time.

I have yet to find that DOF was to narrow, it has been to wide on a lot of occasions. Maybe I really should get a fullframe :0).

The key thing to fully understanding the relationships is to realize that once the subject distance increases shorter focal lengths will lack for subject isolation regardless of aperture or even frame size, within the sort of limits you've mentioned. The point, focal length-wise, where subject isolation becomes too weak for a given shot will occur at a different point with a full-frame camera than it does with a m43 one, but we aren't talking about a huge difference. All the same rules still apply.

Subject isolation is certainly one of the tools a photographer needs to have a full tool chest. But honestly, choice of focal length is the driving factor here. If you must have really short focal lengths combined with extreme subject isolation, you are really talking about a medium or even large-format application. The between m43 and FF can't really re-cast focal length applicability to the degree you desire.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow