Is F 1.2 really that difficult ??

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
you have to be realistic

You can want what you want, but the laws of physics continue unaffected. Understand:

1. Focal length is as big a factor. Once you get down to the 15-20mm range, even f1.2 isn't going to give as strong as subject isolation as the 45 shows at 1.8. Photographic fact of life.

2. Yes, f1.2 is that hard. Each jump from 1.8 to 1.4 to 1.2 takes a significantly larger-diameter and more costly design. And if you wish the lens to be optically usable at 1.2 and excellent elsewhere, you are now talking a lot of money. More than will sell in adequate numbers.

One of the primary criterion for picking a focal length is the consequences of that choice on depth of field. You can't expect the hardware manufacturers to miraculously produce unrealistic dream products simply to obviate proper photographic technique.

That being said, you might like the 25/1.4 over the 20/1.7. The slightly longer focal length and slightly wider aperture does provide a bit more subject isolation. I sold my 20/1.7 after getting the 25 because I like its rendering a bit better, but they're both very good lenses.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow