Is F 1.2 really that difficult ??

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,757
Re: Is F 1.2 really that difficult ??

PaulChapman wrote:

I am surprised that you want autofocus with a very fast lens. Manual focus, especially with image enlargement for focus confirmation, is all you need. Otherwise the poor camera will be getting all hot and bothered trying to decide where the focus point is. The Voigtlanders are very good at around F1.2 although you will need ND filters in any sunshine.

I prefer shooting with available light and especially at night and trying to use AF, even selecting the pinpoint focus point, is often an exercise in frustration. I use mostly manual and adapted manual lenses, so for me, the point is moot.

As an experiment, I shot a bit the other day with my GX7 and Voigtländer 17.5mm at f0.95 at around noon: extended ISO125 and shutter speed at above 1/4000. I was surprised that this was possible shooting wide open! Generally, in full daylight I use my Voigtländers at f5.6 or f8. I got them for low light shooting (mostly) and use f0.95 quite a bit, so it'll be fun to play around with wider apertures in daylight!

One of the tricks with shooting the Voigtländers wide open, especially with the 42.5mm, is not getting too close to the subject, because everything has a pronounced glowy haze. With warmer colors, like yellows and oranges, it can be pretty intense. But, it can be used to good effect, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow