Started Oct 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: Regarding monitors, etc ...

bobn2 wrote:

John King wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

John King wrote:

There is the further wrinkle demonstrated in the images above, that not all monitors are:

1) Calibrated (actually, it is the video card that's calibrated, in almost all cases ... )

Note - the above information is incorrect.

Note - It might appearto be "incorrect" to those not completely familiar with the entire process/es that computers use to display graphic images; and how colour management works .

My monitor calibration is pretty basic, and involves setting up the monitor controls on the monitor. I know that this just affects the monitor, because the electronic link (VGA, DVI or HDMI) doesn't have a provision for the monitor to program the display card. I'd be very grateful to know of a better technique, please.

-- hide signature --

Bob

When an appropriate monitor (one with an EDID chip) is connected to a modern video card with either a dual-DVI cable or, more commonly these days, an HDMI cable, the graphics card queries the EDID chip in order to ascertain what the monitor wants as input from the graphics card. Bit depth, etc.

Any kind of spider works by its software injecting known (Pantone?) colour numbers into the graphics card, then measuring what the monitor displays (via a USB port). The calibration device software then adjusts the (basically uncalibrated) graphics card LUT to output the "right" colour numbers so that the monitor displays a set of colour numbers for each pixel that corresponds to the pre-calibrated colours supplied by colour spider, whatever brand it happens to be.

As Boggis rightly stated, one needs a much more expensive and different version of these devices to change the colour LUT in a printer, monitor or scanner. One also needs to know precisely what one is doing before making modifications to these devices.

Since most high quality monitors come with a factory calibrated colour LUT, as do high quality printers and scanners, it is best that one leaves them alone, and concentrates on getting the un-calibrated part in tune with the rest of the system/workflow which is already well calibrated.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow