E-M1 vs. A7 -- which should I get?

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Re: E-M1 vs. A7 -- which should I get?

Howdy kwtraveller, and welcome to CPF :-).

I'm was basically in the same position, choosing between the new A7/A7r or the E-M1.  While the FF Sony is highly intriguing, I chose the E-M1 and placed my pre-order this week, along with the PRO f2.8 40-80 zoom lens.

I spent a LONG time comparing systems (over the last few years), and while there can be some advantages to a full frame sensor, I think they are mostly seen when used at high ISO and when printing very large prints.

I always download the instruction manual before purchasing something like a new camera, and after reading through the manual for the E-M1, I became convinced that it had the features I would find most useful, and combined with the new PRO series of lenses I could get the IQ I was after, all in a small to mid-sized system.

By the way, it sounds like you're interested in using prime lenses with your new camera (single focal length, not zooms).  Olympus and Panasonic have some spectacular prime lenses.  Here are few you might consider.

1.  Medium:  Pana Lecia 25mm f1.4

2.  Medium tele:  Olympus 75mm f1.8 or Olympus 45 f1.8

3.  Macro:  Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro

4.  Wide: Olympus 12mm f2.0

Those lenses are all in place and ready to go, unlike the Sony A7 system.

As a disclaimer, I don't actually own any of this equipment, but I've spent many, many hours reading reviews from various website and comparing actual photos, and Olympus has a nicely matured system, while the Sony system is brand new, with relatively little known of it's actual performance.

However, to be honest, I'd say follow your heart and get whichever one tickles your fancy.  I imagine that both will produce exceptional photos.

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow