Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,541
Re: Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

parallaxproblem wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

Don't see why they would just "drop" the rangefinder style bodies, they're what sets Sony apart from everyone else. And from what I've gathered over my years in the NEX forum, it's their highest praised "feature" that keeps everyone coming back.

I don't think they'll drop it.  I think they enjoy coming out with a variety of styles, and they'll continue to make rangefinder bodies amongst the other ones.  In the P&S cameras, they release different styles.  Why should they only have pocket-sized cameras when some people obviously prefer lumpy super-zooms?  Or vice versa?

I mean, who wants another boring DSLR styled camera body? Leave Canon and Nikon to take care of that nonsense. The big selling point of cell phones every year at release is how much thinner and lighter the device is, so (let's pretend for a minute Sony decided to stop making Rangefinder styled bodies in favor of models like the A3000 or some other hybrid)--why is the camera industry going backwards, for bigger, bulkier and heavier while cell phone are going for smaller and lighter?

There is a market for a SLR-shaped camera.  Why, with ever-increasing gas prices, do people continue to purchase bigger cars?  I think there's something to the saying, "bigger is better", at least as far as appearances go.  People identify the SLR shape with pro-quality.  Years -- no, decades -- of marketing to reinforce that.  Good luck fighting that.

If you consider this fact, I think that the rangefinder bodies aren't going anywhere. Currently, they're the only choice as far as optimum body size:sensor size, ratio on the market.

I've been waiting a long time for high-quality in a small package, and I finally have it.  Not going back.  Surely, Sony realizes this is going to be the case for some users.

-Matt

The reason would be two-fold

1. The A-mount team seem to have taken-over development of NEX cameras. This would explain a lot of the changes that we have seen recently (eg. the NEX-5R getting those dumb, but conventional strap lugs and newer Emount cameras having DSLR shapes). Prior rivalries between the NEX and A-mount teams might also explain why there was such a delay in releasing new NEX lenses, but there will be 15 FE lenses released in two years! It is possible that the A-mount team simply do not appreciate the Rangefinder body format, being as they are 'DSLR' people. It is also likely that many of the original NEX designers have been sacked or moved to other areas of the company when the new team took over

Imaginative speculation.  

2. There is a clear demand from Sony management for the camera new team to go out and sell more cameras to people and the team's personal objectives and incentives will be based on this... this means that the team will be trying to sell to *new* people and will not care too much if the medium/long term consequences are that their current customers leave.

Sony has been accused of this before.  The claim then was that new features were being added to the Nex only to appeal to new users and wouldn't be useful for people wanting to upgrade.  Seems rather silly to me. It's not that Sony is ignoring current users, but there shouldn't be an expectation that we need to buy a new camera every year the way some people buy a new iPhone every year.

There was a report claiming that US customers were resistant to mirrorless cameras because they didn't look like 'real cameras' (ie. didn't have a pentaprism).

I'm pretty sure this is true.  I know a couple of people that bought entry-level Canon DSLRs.  They simply chose what was the safest bet in their mind as to what a "good" camera brand should be.  I did see someone buy a Nex-5R within the past year, so it's not "everyone", but even with point and shoot cameras, it surprises me how many people buy the ones that look kinda DSLR-like, with the deep grip and bump on the top.  They could have gotten a really compact P&S.

Therefore to increase short-term sales in market sectors that weren't buying before, the cameras will be modified to appeal to those customers (ie. they will be given pentaprism 'bulges'). Putting it bluntly, Sony are probably off chasing new customers and don't care about the ones they currently have

The more people pulled into the Nex camp, the better overall to keep the ecosystem going.  More lenses, more choices....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow