Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Re: Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

the8thark wrote:

After a long decision process I have decided to go and purchase a NEX 5R or 6. I decided I didn't need what the 5T had to offer over the 5R. But . . .
After reading about the supposed death of the NEX line and the introduction of the A7/A7r would this make purchasing the NEX camera a bad idea? Would the availability of lenses till be there in the future? I just don't want to buy it if the lens market for it just dies.
So what is your all opinion on this? Is a NEX camera still a good purchase today after all the information we have had recently delivered to us from Sony and others?

Buy an NEX-6. I own one, and have no intention of selling it, even though I intend to purchase an A7 or A7r, too. The NEX-6 is a fabulous camera. There are three inexpensive (relatively) lenses (16-50, 55-210 and 16mm with ultra-wide adapter) with which you will be able to get positively great images.

The NEX-6 is light and small, very well made, and has a fine sensor and EVF. With the 16mm lens, the NEX-6 fits easily into a jacket pocket. The sensor is great up to at least ISO 3200, and under some circumstances, higher.  You can easily make 16x24 inch prints from its images - and at ISO 100, probably bigger.

Once you acquire the body and those 3 lenses, who cares if there never is another new lens introduced? You will have virtually all the situations you might encounter covered. And if you decide to upgrade in the future, you can use those lenses in crop mode on the A7/A7r.

If these kind of images please you, buy the NEX-6 and those lenses. You won't regret it!

NEX-6 plus kit 16-50mm PZ lens

NEX-6 with 55-210mm zoom

NEX-6 with 16mm and ultra-wide adapter

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow