Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823
Re: Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

look i have a 5R and love it BUT hate the lack of any bright tele lenses over 50mmf1.8 (just the OIS less sigma 60mmf2.8) hamstrings it compared to an entry level nikon/canon dslr (little heavier)  .. BUT if you dont need tele lenses there are enough "right price" decent E mount lenses to get with the 5R/5T (get the 5R if its a lot cheaper unless they have improved the crappy resistive touchscreen as theres little if any diff) to cover what you need

so SEL50f1.8(OIS)/sigma 19mm/30mm f2.8's (no OIS) are pretty good and good value the SEL35mmf1.8 is excellent but getting on for 2x the cost of the 50mmSEL1.8 sadly, the 55-210 telezoom is dark and a bit soft but good value for money and fine for a sunny day zoom

Luckily I already have a nikon dslr/lenses so i use this for the things the NEX is useless at (without bright tele lenses with OIS) - such as shooting family on stage in theatre and family playing sports in anything other than bright sunlight (you can use the kit telezoom under these conditions)

.. and as for bolting on a 40 year "manual" prime lens well it will more than likely be (from my experience) fungus ridden and showing its age plus no AF, no OIS (so anything over 50mm camera shake will be a problem) and you loose most modes on your NEX so a right royal pain in the a**  ..

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow