24Mp or 36Mp ??

Started Oct 15, 2013 | Polls thread
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: 24Mp or 36Mp ??

I haven't voted because doing so almost feels like giving 'approval' to the new A7 design, which I don't want to do but I'm pompous enough to comment on the sensors

I have 24MP on my A900 and it is plenty for amateur stuff - you can get very nice and detailled landscape photos with it using 'moderate quality' glass at lower ISO (it has the same resolution as a 10MP APS-C sensor and so is not so 'demanding' of lens resolution)

The only limitation with that older sensor is high-ISO noise...   if they have sorted that out in the new sensor then it really would be perfect and I can't imagine needing anything more for a very long time

35MP will just put more stress on the glass (ie. you will really need to have expensive lenses) and give a worse high-ISO performance.  The on-Chip PDAF on the latest 24MP sensor would certainly be more interesting to me than a higher resolution sensor and seems more appropriate to a small, street camera.  35MP without AA seems more like something for a studio or pro landscape photographer to me and so might do better in a slightly larger body with more features

If the A7 had a rangefinder styling then I would certainly be more interested in the 24MP 'flavour' than the 35MP one

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow