24Mp or 36Mp ??

Started Oct 15, 2013 | Polls thread
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,212
Re: 24Mp or 36Mp ??

seachicken2000 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

The point that you have to print large in order to appreciate the difference in resolution between the two sensors seems to be currently accepted wisdom but I disagree. The differences are still there in smaller prints , perhaps just less noticeable ?

I upscaled a set of DPR test images at various resolutions (base ISO upscaled to 36M pixels) to see the effect of increasing resolution. I think the law of diminishing returns applies here.

There are big improvements from 10->16, a small one from 16->24, and a very high degree of pixel peeping is required to notice the difference between 24 and 36M.

I agree that the law of diminishing returns does apply & that is why I qualified my comments by including this sentence:-

The advantages of the more dense sensor are confused with cost  judgements & different people draw the line in a different place.

In the above examples I can still see easily the difference between the 36 & 24MP crops when viewed in a large display & my eyes are a lot worse than they used to be

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow