Noise does not seem consistent with ISO

Started Oct 15, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaPonti Contributing Member • Posts: 567
Noise does not seem consistent with ISO

Hi,

The other day I had to shoot at high ISO (low light, fast cars), which I'm not used to. I shot all my pictures in JPEG, and with the exact same settings. I know I'm losing some quality doing that, and I know sharpening in camera may not be the best idea… maybe next time I'll try RAW. I have below two pictures straight out of camera, before any improvement in post processing, at 800 ISO. The only differences are the light and zoom level.

The first one looks quite clean to me when seen at 100% and I would've kept it if it wasn't for the cropping failure. The second one looks much noisier (this is straight OOC before I compensate the exposure in PP, which makes it even more obvious). I'm just trying to understand why: will you see noise more in a darker picture? Is it due to the different car colour? Is it just random luck with the camera processing being sometimes better than others? Or is it just a difference in my perception, but actually both are close "technically"?

As a comparison, I have also added a picture at 2000 ISO and honestly I don't find it much worse than the Force India at 800 ISO.

Marussia at 800 ISO - looking alright

Force India at 800 ISO - not so good

Mercedes at 2000 ISO - not so bad

Thanks in advance for your answers.

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow