+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,734
Orchids and lilies don't freeze well

I've tried a couple of Asiatic lilies, and a couple sprays of orchids, and apparently they have something in them akin to anti-freeze.  At the temperature of my freezer, the water never froze.  Got viscous and almost slimy but never froze, and the flowers then deteriorated quite rapidly.  When lily time comes around again where I live I'm going to try again by setting the freezer temp WAY lower.

What you don't see here... if you leave the blocks of ice in the freezer, and the freezer is a self-defrosting, the ice sublimates away and the flowers slowly appear a little at a time as the ice evaporates.  Those half-way shots are for me the best.  You have to have the total freezing first, though... if you freeze flowers under water, they hold their color and structure, but I've tried several techniques for depositing thin layers of ice on flowers and at least for me, working with an old household freezer, damage to the cell structures of the flower occur well before I can get a layer of preserving ice on the flower.

All this came from how my wife's flower garden looked after a freak ice storm...

Thanks for the compliments...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow