+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
I don't know the design history

FrankS009 wrote:

I have been wondering if the long, thin, flat banana shaped hulls reflect canoe experience in swells.

But I don't think there is anything in particular about the shape in respect of reference to local experience in canoes. The canoes are so varied -- and are nearly all outrigger anyway. Some are double-hulled or even triple hulled so if we were drawing on local experience…

I think this was just a commercial design someone picked up and they've stuck with it. I hear the makers are coming out with a new design soon -- it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

A bit of a V would be appreciated in the open water, I’m sure, but at the beach or coming in over the reef, the flatter the bottom the better! As it is, we step out into calf to knee deep water.

An anthopologist would have a field day. The local bus and passenger truck services are the same -- they come when they come and go when they have enough people on board. And the fares are ridiculous -- about a dollar from where I live to town 15-20 km away in a minibus 15 passengers, although they love to cram in two or three more -- but overloading is pretty heavily policed.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow