+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,152
Re: boats for you 2009 -- and now the hull shape, Frank

Thanks Geoff,

Your description and shots are fascinating, a photo essay all by itself that I appreciate. I learned a lot. An anthropologist would have a field day with this form of transportation, its organization, and the risks. And as a "participant observer" sitting in the bow on the last trip of the day for that particular trip across, it must have been exciting indeed- if that is the word.

These are just superficial reactions, but these boats seem a bit analogous to long distance taxis or lorries that used to ply the roads of West Africa - filled with people, chickens, cargo etc.

The hull design is part of it all for sure. As strictly an amateur boat nut, the hull seems more flat bottomed than I might have expected. There must be a reason for this, perhaps related to pulling the boats up on the beach although my guess is that this shape makes the boat pound a bit in "choppy" water. The beam seems a bit narrower than I might expect too, just off the top.

A very interesting story with interesting craft. Again, thanks a lot for sharing this.:-)

F.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow