+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Side light

gene thomson wrote:

Thanks for your comment, Tom. While cropping certainly can improve composition, I usually take all my images in 16:9 ratio because that is what my monitor screen is, and I like to see a full screen without black bars (just my preference). If I do crop, I still try to keep about the same 16:9 aspect ratio. Your suggestion for a square image interested me, since I took countless square images with my Rolleiflex TLR many years ago. Thus, I followed your suggestion and came up with the following. It certainly seems better from a compositional standpoint.

Never thought of using 16:9 for that reason.  My traditional photog friends are 3:2 all the way and tend not to "like" 16:9, although one guy, a retired architect, has access to big printers and does his own mounting and framing.... resulting in aspect ratios that fit the composition.  I have learned a lot about cropping from him.... and now tend to think "outside the box" ... at least sometimes ... when it comes to framing, composing.  With my GH2 I selected AR in the camera.  With my other MFT camera(s) I just leave it on 4:3 and crop later.

By the way, thank you showing the crop of your original.  To me it tends to lend a little more drama to that blossom.

Nicely done.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow