+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Oh no! Not that #$%^&*! volcano again! Sorry, folks …

Hen3ry wrote:

… but the night before last, it was roaring away for hours in the early hours. I live 20 km away in the bush and can't see the volcano in question, Tavurvur, next to Rabaul town, so yesterday morning I rang my mate who has a seaside guesthouse across the harbor from it and he said no doubt it had behaved as I said but he had slept the sleep of the just and hadn't heard a thing.

Anyway, there was lots of smoke yesterday but it was also overcast and rainy. Then today dawned bright and hot (surprise -- we are 4.15 degrees south of the equator!). I bethought me to jump on the early bus to have a look at how the volcano was behaving but got tangled up with actually doing something so didn't make one of my favorite vantage points in Kokopo town until after midday.

And what a lovely day! The rain had cleared the air and we had the kind of visibility we always hope for and lots of saturated color, so I ignored the pundits (myself included) who insist that the middle of the day is no time to remove the lens cap, and took a few shots.

Nice and sharp with the kit 14-42 II R lens.

This is the best one, I think. OOC except for a small crop top and right and just a tweak of extra contrast.

Cheers, geoff

Great "postcard' image.

What is the material spewed?  Water? Particulates? Gases?  What do you get when in a boat downwind from the volcano?   If the wind changes to direct the effluent towards a population are inhabitants evacuated?

Cool adventure in your back yard!

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow