"Nikon's most lame new DSLR"

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,777
Re: I recall the day the D600 was announced

The D600 is an excellent camera with a persistent problem, the D610, if the issue is solved, is a great camera, no one disputes that. You compare the D800 to the 5D2 and claim the AF is much better. The D800's competition is not the 5D2, but the 5D3, if there is any competition, given the big difference in pixel count.

But they actually compete to each other, haveing similar body quality and similar AF systems, the top of each maker. Re AF, the new Canon system has shown very good performance, check Cicala's tests, 5D3 and 1DX perform closer to LV focusing re accuracy than Nikon's, with the newer Canon lenses.

Someone not heavily invested in lenses and looking forward to an FF system has two options, Canon or Nikon. Both are very good and any claim of "vast superiority" are not reasonable. Thus, image and perception are very relevant. And it was here that Nikon didn't do well, and the issue is not which camera is better, it's how Nikon handled the D600's shutter/debris issue. The D610 is a clear confession something was wrong, and was not just a sporadic event.

I use Nikon, but I'm not emotionally attached to a brand. I have used Pentax (Asahi era), Leica and Nikon, as I have driven Volkwagen, GM, Ford, Renault and Citroen cars in the past 40 years. Some of the changes were motivated by poor attention to customer's interest (mine, as is the case). I'm checking carefully Nikon's next steps.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow