>>> Street Photography eXchange #65 <<<

Started Oct 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: baywatch

walkaround wrote:

xtoph wrote:

walkaround wrote:

You did well to slightly overexpose here, because Portra can get really grainy in blue skies when underexposed even a little. Do you shoot it at 160? I used to set my AE-1 Program to ASA 100.

i haven't seen that grain problem with portra 160 (you do mean the current emulsion?).

Yes, the current "Portra 160", not the old "VC" and "NC" system. I guess you haven't shot a sky at dusk with it then. Although I also scanned my own negatives, which adds another wrinkle.

hmm... it's possible i simply haven't run into that particular combination of subject and exposure. most times, esp in the evening, i would think that the sky would be among the brightest subjects, so i'd normally be contenting with overexposure there.

i've only shot one roll of the current ektar--i'd guess based on that that it would be spectacular for fall landscapes. it's a little over the top for my usual taste, though. excellent film, however, and probably very close to what people are used to liking about digital output.

I wish I could find a digital camera that looks exactly like Ektar 100 does. Olympus is close. But I don't find Ektar to be "digital" looking, and it scans really well. The only film I preferred more was Fuji Provia 100, but the whole workflow was too expensive and time-consuming. I started shooting the slides with a $1k Canon 100mm macro "L" lens... then had an awakening, a my-god-look-at-yourself-man! moment. Sold all of it.

oh, i didn't mean to imply that ektar gives a digital look. i just meant that for a generation (i assume not you) raised on digital sensors, that would be where i would send them first for something they could relate to.

i recently shot some slides again--old guy gave me a few dozen rolls from his freezer--and while it is gorgeous, the best part about it is the object, not trying to cope with getting that back into a computer or printing with it.

digital is far more practical for most purposes, that's for sure.

you should share some of your 'scans' with us...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow