How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Questions thread
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,233
Re: the cult of DPR

bobn2 wrote:

What it says is if you had the EXIF you might well find that the answer was what you expected. Without the EXIF, you don't expect anything.

right...very good then.

Production economics more than technology.

...in your opinion.

It would also balk at a camera which introduced very poor results in brighter light.

Who's making sensors like that and why would they? You're just making the same point I'm making.

It is designed to be ultra noise-free at high ISO and low-light, to do that it needs very large and very few pixels on a full-frame sensor. They can't reach the same quality-of-sensitivity if they packed ultra-HD on there (8mp).

It's all to do with the read noise. They made the sensor to match the requirements of a particular application.

That doesn't tell anyone anything.  You're avoiding the question: could Canon have made that same sensor but with 8mp instead of 2mp and still keep the same quality of lowlight performance?

I'm sure that I know how sensors work (not as well, probably, as someone like Eric Fossum, but better, in all probability, than someone like you)

The inventor of the CMOS sensor very likely might join this thread and answer the 8mp question (or this thread might need to be moved into the Science-Tech forum).

I'm not getting into a who-knows-more-about-sensors willyfight.  I'd just like that question answered reliably, for it helps the OP's case.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow