How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Questions thread
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,233
Re: the cult of DPR

sir_bazz wrote:

Use a site like Snap Sort

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Pentax-K-30

Christ! snapsort is a candidate for the worst camera website ever! It's run by bot-programs, and it shows.

Excruciating. Should be shut down.

bobn2 wrote:

dholl wrote:

That's absolutely false, the classic counterexample being the D600 vs D800.

So why does every pro review and most user reviews state the D600 performs better at the very high ISO's than the D800? Same with the D700 vs the 5DII back in 2008 (12mp vs 21mp).

I'm really impressed that you've read every 'pro review'. Care to link and quote a few?

Thanks. It impressed me too.

Klaus dk wrote:

I don't doubt the OP's good intentions, I just doubt if they will contribute anything to the friendship or the quality of the friend's pictures.

If you are annoyed or driven into madness by that, you will have to get over it.

get over it, or calm down, or other such tripe comebacks have long been discredited in online debate. It's almost as bad as mentioning Nazis.

And did the OP ask for relationship advice?

Mikael Risedal wrote:

you are wrong, and listen now to BOB

A stunning contribution from a valued cult member.

bobn2 wrote:

dholl wrote:

So why does every pro review and most user reviews state the D600 performs better at the very high ISO's than the D800? Same with the D700 vs the 5DII back in 2008 (12mp vs 21mp).

So here we go

one

another

a third

All at A3/300ppi, 25600 ISO.

Those pics you linked aren't marked nor have any EXIF in them. I checked DXO and the difference in high-ISO performance (the D600 is about 5% better) is so minimal as to be meaningless.

I'm happy to ditch that point in the specific case of this generation of Sony sensor in Nikon's latest full-frame bodies. But as we all know, the reason we're not packing 80mp on these sensors is because they would be noisy as hell, and lose all colour/DR-depth once pushed. At least with the current generation of sensors.

But pack just 2mp on such a sensor, and you get Canon's revolutionary full-HD full-frame CMOS chip , which performs better in low-light than any other sensor (certainly better than those sensors with more (and smaller) pixels.

There is a very real rule-of-thumb here.

Jeff wrote:

based on 36+ years of marriage, listening is often more effective then talking. Show, don't tell.

This forum's suddenly turned into mumsnet or something

Jay Ell wrote:

The Lumia 1020 has not only a larger sensor than the F31, but also one that is significantly more modern, ie. has much lower read noise and higher quantum efficiency. Additionally the lens is faster. It has much higher performance potential in low light as well as other conditions than the F31 has.

Anyone fancy doing a F31fd vs 1020 ISO-1600 showdown?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow