Why is photography now considered a terrorist act?

Started Oct 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084
Re: Why is photography now considered a terrorist act?

SteveCooper wrote:

Sometimes you just get lucky, and sometimes you're not so lucky.

I went to a museum where photography was allowed, but my small camera bag was not welcome- they were letting other people roam around with backpacks bigger than my camera bag- barely large enough to hold a "bridge" camera and batteries. I told them to refund my money, and make everyone else that was there leave or surrender their backpacks, otherwise I was going to sue them for discrimination. They mumbled, grumbled and let me pass but kept a very close eye on me the entire time I was there. Every time I turned the camera on them, they would duck out of the way.

A couple of years ago I went to our nearby international airport, drove around the complete perimeter of the airport (on airport property) and took pictures for about 3 hours of planes taking off and landing, as well as the control tower. I was as obvious as I could have possibly been- I had a huge telephoto lens and set up my tripod at each spot around the airport I stopped to take pictures, and at one location, I even stopped at the state police location where they keep the governor's helicopter and asked permission to photograph there which I was given. I was AMAZED that not one security person stopped me or asked what I was doing. Maybe they "ran" my license plate and determined I wasn't a threat, but I still thought it was odd that no one questioned me. They would have had every right to tell me to leave since I was on airport property.

I just got lucky.....

Not all police agencies are paranoid about photographers. I believe I work for one of the more enlightened ones.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow