How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,789
Re: How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

redsf1 wrote:

... how do i explain to her its not just MP?

Then again, "not just" is something different than "not about". Here is a humorous extreme.

i currently have a basic Oly CSC with only 12mp but its more than good enough for looking at the pics on a screen or printing at a reasonable size. she wants it for portraits so is never going to massive posters. i just don't know how to explain it to her.

You (might then) point out how the advent of HDTV broadcast has become a major financial boon to professional makeup artists - as people (in large portrait-style) have many "imperfections" when "viewed" so up-close.

How (and at what stage of the entire process) does one allow (or deliberately apply) "blur" ?

Assuming DR and SNR are up to snuff, higher resolution images - when processed or edited with skill, that is - are highly capable of balancing image resolution and noise, and color.

A (hypothetical) "qualty factor" would be derived from multiplying resolution by net composite system output SNRs that exist (within the range of sensor illumination levels of interest in application).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow