Why is photography now considered a terrorist act?

Started Oct 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 36,349
Re: Before y'all get too excited. maybe there's an explanation.

FrankieJ wrote:

You don't leave an area un-fenced, un-restricted and the fountain ON, if you don't want people in the vicinity attracted to it.

Heh. That's the way it SHOULD work. Welcome to now.

Other visitors were not asked to leave - this was exclusively triggered by my act of photography.

Ah, that's then another matter. I'm not allowed to use my tripod in the public plaza at Lincoln Center, and that for insurance liability concerns. A tripod on a public place can be construed as a trip hazard, because it is in high traffic areas. Whether the call made on your activity was right or not, I can't say. If I shoot with a tripod in the middle of a high traffic sidewalk, I'd expect the Police to intervene, while later at night I'd likely not be bothered (not by the Police, unless a busy body thought they need to call the Police).

Relax. Look up what your ordinances say about public photography in parks, public streets, and privately owned public areas.

Next, when shooting a crowd in a public space, be prepared for some aggressive crazy eye bruiser to come out of the crowd to demand to know why you were taking their picture. Tip - respond with something like "On my planet you would be considered a god!" If you can say it in Klingon with a straight face, even better.

It's good to be prepared for any eventuality.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow