Ergonomics question to Canon users from a Nikon user

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,673
Re: Dual-platform shooter's opinions...

I, too, advise beginners to handle both brands, at length, if practicable, before buying. I am no expert, and do not consider myself a "pro" photographer, but because I do shoot evidentiary images for a major police agency, plenty of people ask me for advice. (I always try to emphasize my lack of experience with cameras other than DSLRs, and recommend looking at options other than CanoNikon.)

At the "semi-pro" level, I love the ergonomics of the 7D and 5D Mark III. (I own, and use, two 7D bodies at work.) The Canon 40D/50D and 5D Mark and 5D Mark II were likable at the time, but the 7D and 5D Mark III are better in my hands. (I can manage 5D or 40D and a 7D together, without getting the controls too mixed-up when switching.)

The D600 and D7000 are a horrible fit in my hands, and the controls are not to my liking. The D7100's grip makes it better for my right hand than its predecesor. (My wife shoots with a D7000.)

The Canon 60D and 6D were a step down for me in handling qualities, and the change in controls NOT to my liking! I might have bought a full-frame Canon DSLR this year, but the disappointing ergonomiccs and controls of the 6D stopped me. (Instead, I bought two 600EX-RT Speedlites, a Canon Macro RingLite, a Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, and a NIKON Coolpix A.) The original 5D maintains its position as my full-frame DSLR.

The D800 is a decent fit in my hands, though not quite as good as the 7D/5D Mark III, and its "pro" controls suit me quite well. If my interest in landscapes and seascapes continues to increase, this makes the D800E a viable candidate for my next DSLR. Otherwise, the (probable) 7D Mark II has my attention.

The D4 fits my hands quite well, and the controls, in the brief time I tried them, seem quite suitable. The Canon 1D X seems much more brick-like, and feels much heavier than the D4, more so than the actual weight difference. At this top tier, my preference is definitely Nikon, which is largely a moot point, as successors to both models may have been introduced before I can justifiably afford either the 1D X or D4. My acquisition of such a camera depends largely upon whether I choose to prioritize wildlife and birds over landscapes and seascapes.

For what it is worth, the Nikon F6 is my benchmark for ergonomics. In spite of its 1006-gram weight, it feels nearly weightless in my hands, and its controls are brilliantly placed. One reason I am in no hurry to acquire a newer full-frame DSLR is because the F6 is such a wonderful film SLR.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +57 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow