Why is photography now considered a terrorist act?

Started Oct 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,480
Over dramatization?

FrankieJ wrote:

Why is photography now considered to be part of, or equivalent to, a terrorist act?
This past weekend I was shooting at Los Feliz fountain in Los Angeles for a college assignment.

The site is undergoing renovation of the surrounding garden areas which ARE fenced off.
The fountain itself is unfenced with no prohibitive signage and is operating normally. I stayed next to the fountain, within the un-restricted areas.

One of the DWP gardeners felt that it was his duty to tell me that I had to stop what I was doing and leave the location. I did as "Told" and packed up and left (I was done shooting).
But why is the first reaction to legal public photography one of threat?

What threat? What does this have to do at all with terrorism?

There are many people that think they know what is right, prohibted, and such. They usually err on the side of ignorance. In this case the worker could have had in mind potential liability for injury, since it was somewhat within a construction area. He was either mistaken, or the site wan't properly cordoned off.

So it goes. Right or wrong, it will happen a lot. For reasons real or imagined relating to terrorism or insurance policies. Know your rights, so you don't have to be intimidated by well meaning citizens. Some you'll encounter you can reason with, others might not be so open to seeing the error of their ways (as we might not be willing to see the reason behind their ways).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow