Ergonomics question to Canon users from a Nikon user

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Questions thread
J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
The camera differences are not too important to me.

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

I'm a Nikon user. Whenever someone asks me the silly question "which is better, Nikon or Canon", I tell them they're both excellent systems, with plenty of options, and that they should try them both to see how they fit in their own hands.

Having used both Nikon and Canon, but being an active Nikon user, the one thing that for me personally seals the deal for Nikon is the horizontal orientation of the dial(s). I just can't get used to the Canons' vertically orientated dial on the top.

Canon users who have also tried/used Nikon:

Purely in terms of ergonomics, why do you think you prefer Canon? Just curious

From my perspective it's all about the lenses.  IMO Canon's 100-400 was a better choice over Nikon's near equivalent (the Canon will focus faster).  Additionally Canon's 400 f/5.6 is superb for BIF (very fast to focus) and my 800mm is in a class of its own.

Having said the above please note that I've lusted over the Nikon's 14-24; it's magnificent.  Unfortunately I shoot in the southwestern deserts a LOT and need a filter to protect the glass; if not for this factor I'd be shooting Nikon for all of my landscape shots.

IMO Canon needs to improve on the sharpness of their WA lineup (I'm okay with the distortion).  As far as ergonomics go ... I'm willing to adapt to either Nikon or Canon if that's what the cost of doing business requires.

Regards,
Joe Kurkjian
Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow