Ergonomics question to Canon users from a Nikon user

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Pritzl Senior Member • Posts: 1,474
Re: Ergonomics question to Canon users from a Nikon user

I prefer the top dial as it keeps my hand in a better shooting position. it's in keeping with the divergent philosophies they use for general UI.

I find Canon's UI, esp. the menu system, more approachable for the novice. For one thing, it lends itself a lot better for one handed operation; whoever put the iso button on the left of Nikon bodies must have 3 hands. More advanced functionality is unnecessarily complicated on Canon ( was it CFn ii or iii?).

On the flip side, Nikon's UI offers a lot more external controls (obviating visits to its relatively more complex menu system) which advanced users would appreciate once the muscle memory is in place.

The first time I held a Nikon I was lost for quite a bit, looking all over the camera body for various buttons and dials. Still, I could appreciate how quick camera operation would become once I figured them out.

I guess what I'm saying is the shape of the learning curve is quite different between the two. Nikon's is more front-weighted from my limited experience while Canon's ramps up later and never quite achieves fully menuless operation. Which you prefer will be a very subjective proposition.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow