Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Chris Malcolm Senior Member • Posts: 1,525
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

I'm in the middle of a 3 week holiday in Sicily. I used up most of my air baggage space & weight with camera, lenses, tripod, etc.. I took 2 x 32GB SD cards which I estimated rightly would be enough, given that when handheld sightseeing snapping I don't use RAW & mostly turn down the MP to 12.

But I wanted web access, GPS mapping & navigation, plus the ability to do at least some minimal image editing and uploading to the web while on holiday. A laptop much too big & heavy. So I took along my Nexus 7 Android tablet with a small Bluetooth keyboard. With the usual OTG USB cable & a USB card reader it can read the camera's memory card, including RAW files. I can display and edit these more easily & better than I expected to be able to, including curves, downsizing, altering jpeg compression ratios. Not as well as I'll be able to do when I get back home to my desktop computer. But more than well enough to supply good images to local friends while out here.

I trust memory cards much more than hard drives from having read research reports on the reliability of the technologies involved.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow