PS or PSE11 - 8 bit colour

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: PS or PSE11 - 8 bit colour

Sailor Blue wrote:

This article does a good job of explaining why you want to work as much as possible in 16-bits when making image adjustments, especially exposure and color adjustments. It also explains why you won't have any problems if you make the pixel level adjustments necessary to remove things from your image with an 8-bit editor like PSE11.

8 bit, 12 bit, 14 bit, 16 bit — What Does It Really Mean to Digital Photographers? | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

There are a couple of options you should consider.

Update to Lightroom 5. Lightroom 5 has what I call the Spot, Area, and Streak Removal Tool. With this brush you can now heal or clone streaks or areas as well as spots. Removing something like the barbed wire in your image would be simple to do.

If you try to use Heal to get rid of the wire right up to the post the result would be a smearing of the wire and post together to produce a blob of color right against the post. With LR5 I would first clone a small break in the wire right against the post then Heal would work very well for the rest of the wire.

If you think you need layers capabilities then add PSE12 (out a few days ago). If you want to extend PSE12's capabilities there are add-on programs available that can give you 16-bit capabilities.

Elements - About Elements+

Elements - The Plugin Site - Elements XXL - Elements on Steroids

Unfortunately none of those add-ons add any 16 bit capabilities or tools worth anything, and that's being generous,  which is why I recommend Paint Shop Pro, even if you are using a Mac. I run Paint Shop Pro through Parallels in Windows 8 on my Mac and it works great. Mac users could by a copy of Windows 8, Parallels 8 and Paint Shop Pro X5 for not much more than the cost of Elements 12 and have a far more capable image editor.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow