Why are so few lenses bought per DSLR? (Motivation of two polls)

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
merops
merops Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Why are so few lenses bought per DSLR? (Motivation of two polls)

Every so often I see a blog or forum post about how few lenses are bought per DSLR, usually together with a comment along the lines of “for most people it was pointless to buy an interchangeable-lens camera”. While I agree that a fair proportion of users may only ever buy one lens, I think that the average number of lenses bought per camera body (the number available to the industry) is misleading taken as a raw statistic:

First, some of those who currently have bought only one lens will go on to buy more lenses. For these people it is not pointless to have bought an ILC. There will always be beginners.

Second, which is the point I really want to make, the same lens can be used on multiple bodies. Indeed it is likely to be used on multiple bodies because lenses ‘age’ more slowly than bodies. Even if the number of lenses sold per camera was exactly 1, I would expect many people to have a range of choices of lens to use on their camera(s). For example, since going digital, I have bought 8 lenses (of which 3 have been stolen), and 5 camera bodies (all the same mount-type and format). I have therefore bought 1.6 lenses/camera – you might think of me as an almost equal mixture of a complete noob (1 lens/camera) and someone just beginning to experiment (got their second lens for the same body). In fact I have a choice of 5 different lenses for each of the bodies that I (still) have!

To judge how big this difference is, I have set up two polls to compare these two numbers (how many lenses/camera have you bought; how many lenses/camera do you have available to use). Unfortunately, DPR polls do not allow you to ask two poll questions in the same post – hence the two separate polls. It would be handy if respondents answer both. Thanks.

BOUGHT: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52242300

AVAILABLE TO USE: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52242304

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow