Getting a Powershot G series but which one?

Started Sep 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SomebodyFamous
SomebodyFamous Regular Member • Posts: 324
Getting a Powershot G series but which one?

I'm selling all my digital SLR crap. It's bulky and heavy and cumbersome. Nobody wants to hire a "photographer" any more and nobody wants to pay for photos any more either. I love taking photos and do phenomenal landscapes etc.

So... I'm probably going to buy a Powershot G series. I looked at the ILCs but to be honest, all I use anyway is lenses ranging from 28mm to 135mm 99.999% of the time so I figure I might just as well get something with a 4 or 5 times zoom.

Having just taken a massive hit because I bought all my digital SLR stuff a few years ago and never had any worthwhile photography clients (think purchase price of $8k and resale value of $2k), I'm not going to throw my money at a new Powershot G series. It's going to be secondhand from either KEH, B&H or Adorama (purely for the peace of mind of the warranty). Ebay is likely just to get me something that's broken and unrepairable.

So, I'm looking at cameras in the range of G10 - G16. I'm looking for manual focus though an intervalometer thrown in would be nice. High-speed video could be interesting too. Megapixels I'm not so bothered about. My digital SLRs are both 8 megapixels. I don't really need more megapixels - they just take up more storage space and like as not I only print to 10x8 or upload to a file sharing site. ANy suggestions?

-- hide signature --

I take photos for my own pleasure. I write books for my own pleasure too. If people buy them then fine. If not then I don't really care. The fun was in writing them. Income is just icing on top of the cake.

Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow