D7100 - Starting my hand-held training with my 300/F4 "non-VR"

Started Sep 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RudyPohl
RudyPohl Senior Member • Posts: 4,399
D7100 - Starting my hand-held training with my 300/F4 "non-VR"

Yesterday, I was finally brave enough to leave my tripod in the car and launch out on the next phase of the learning curve with my new (to me) Nikon 300/F4 lens, which involves learning how to use this non-VR hand-held. Unfortunately, I have no presentable images to show you as yet, as I'm still just spreading my wings as it were.

I am realizing that my left arm just doesn't have the strength needed to hold this lens really nice and steady or to smoothly track a flying bird. So I have decided to try to remedy that by pumping my camera up and down (like lifting weights) as I walk along the path around Mud Lake. I figure that doing 20,000 repetitions should beef-up the appropriate muscles in my arm, shoulder and upper body so I began my "getting-into-shape" routine yesterday... I now have 2,000 reps under my belt and 18,000 more to go!!!  (When I'm done, I might also start arm wrestling for beers and burgers in the local pub, who knows???)

Enjoy your weekend,

Rudy

RudyPohl's gear list:RudyPohl's gear list
Nikon D7200
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow