leo9 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Comparing specs

Schjeldal wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x

Panasonic GX7 Vievinder magnification 1.39x

It is not quite so simple. The aspect ratio of the EVFs means a lot. I have just received my new GX7. On paper it has almost the same magnification as my old G1 (1.4x). But the 1.39x magnification in the GX7 EVF is when 16:9 ratio is used. In the G1 this magnification factor is appearent in the viewfinder when the native aspect ratio 4:3 is used. When 4:3 ratio aspect is used in the GX7 viewfinder there is a huge cropping of the viewfinder image and the magnification is significantly reduced. Big black areas in the sides of the viewfinder. - Personally I will be turning my head against the cheaper G6, as the viewfinder size is of great importance for me when composing photos.

Here are some illustrations: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3535810#forum-post-52022146

Looking at those illustrations, I think the GX7's rectangle size may be incorrect.  The GX7 EVF has the same height as the NEX-7, which is one of the largest viewfinders.

If the GX7's rectangle was scaled down so it's total width fitted within the width of the NEX-7's rectangle, that would make more sense to me.  It's height would then be roughly the same as the Nikon 7100, which sounds about right based on what users have been saying.

leo9's gear list:leo9's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pbn
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow