Was thinking of buying Nikon, but not so fast......

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Re: Was thinking of buying Nikon, but not so fast......

Godfrey wrote:

Lenses over bodies for sure. I buy bodies specifically to support the lenses I want to use in some cases.

I briefly tested the E-M1 with my ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 and 35/3.5 Macro lenses. The body without battery grip fitted is a just a bit larger than the E-M5, the new integral grip and control arrangement is much more comfortable to my hands. Just like that it is delightful with lenses the size and weight of the 35 Macro. Moving to the 11-22 and larger sized lenses, the HLD7 battery grip adds a critical inch or so to the bottom of the camera and provides very nice additional support for holding it very steadily and securely.

I have not used the Nikon DSLRs much recently, but overall the E-M1 has a more tactile feel, with very nice balance and control positioning, and yet is slimmer and lighter feeling overall compared to my memory of the D600 and other Nikons I've used. Frankly, it feels more like a film SLR due to the slim form factor, which is a big plus in my book as most DSLRs feel too thick and blunt.

Focusing speed and accuracy with the two FT lenses I tested was at least on par with my E-5, and certainly an improvement on my E-1.

I'm waiting for my E-M1 and HLD7 now...

There are still a lot of 4/3 bodies available used. Your 4/3 lenses will work best on those.  Some of this stuff like above just looks like advertising copy. If you have money to burn and want to stick with Olympus then sell your 4/3 lenses and start over.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gbt
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow