Auto iso

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Questions thread
deanphotoarts New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Auto iso

Actually it does work with off-camera flash but you need to dial down exposure compensation or you will get an overexposed image.

I recently switched to Nikon from Olympus to take advantage of auto ISO at weddings, and it has been generally a success; my exposures have been better and I'm letting the camera do more of the work.   It has been hard for someone used to shooting 100% manual, but I'm making the transition to auto ISO with a range of 100-6400 using aperture priority and making adjustments with exposure compensation.  I have taken the plunge after listening to a few other wedding photographers whose work I admire.

It is difficult to let go of all that control, but am using the D700 and D3 (about the same operations) with great success.   I'm finding that if I go easy on IC adjustments, I'm better off (speaks well for the camera's automation).   I'm also dragging the shutter less (setting minimum of 1/125th now) when using flash in low-light situations and getting less ghosting when having to run and shoot.

The idea is to have to do less in Lightroom (I need to stay off the adjustments more often anyhow) and cut down the post processing but maintain the creative controls I need like aperture.

Warning: using this arrangement without adding Exposure Compensation to fine tune (chimp it, histogram, whatever) is not recommended.  I'm learning to generally feather it, unless I'm looking at situations where there are lighting extremes and I need to bias it toward shadow or highlight detail.

Also clearly won't work with every camera due to noise.  The full-framed D series makes it possible.

Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Don
Don
Don
Don
Don
(unknown member)
Don
Don
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow