ZS30: Green Jumping Spider

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ianperegian
Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597
ZS30: Green Jumping Spider

I took some closeup shots with my ZS30 of a Green Jumping Spider (Mopsus penicillatus) that I found in the garden. It was a male, about 12mm long. Due to the clumps of hair on the sides of the head and the big front pair of eyes, i think the male's face looks rather like that of an orangutan!

During the day they hunt on foliage, their green colour providing camouflage. They are predators of insects and they can jump many times their body length. They prepare a silk line before they jump so that they can haul themselves back with it if necessary.

I tried taking closeup video using my ZS30, although being only inches away from the spider it was difficult to keep the picture steady as it moved. I prepared a short movie which ends when the spider jumped: https://vimeo.com/75378666.

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow