>>> Street Photography eXchange #62 <<<

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: Empanadas

i am not sure what you are showing me in this photo. i don't really get or am not seeing what the subject is. (empanadas?)

there is good potential in the long narrow corridor and the perspective lines that provides. the guy has an interesting face. but his expression is very blank, and his face seems blurred; you generally want to aim for a higher shutter speed with moving subjects if you can. i am guessing you are shooting with the slow end of the kit zoom; this is why many of us are so fond of faster aperture prime lenses, as they provide much more flexibility to shutter speed and depth of field. working with students who have to use a built-in or slow kit zoom, i find it is often worthwhile to just stick to the wide end of the lens whenever the light drops; not only do you get a faster aperture, but with less magnification, you can usually get by with a slightly slower shutter speed before the blur becomes noticeable. (in this case, the plane of sharpest focus may also have been behind your subjects--backfocus especially of silhouetted figures with fuji's current crop of cameras is a common complaint, so you may need to watch out for that.)

also, i don't see what the (visual, compositional) goal of shooting from such a low angle is in this case.

on the up side, thanks for setting the file to an advantageous viewing size. there seem to be some less than ideal artifacts in the hard edges and highlights, though, which might be a product of resizing or more likely a sharpening setting. that harshness isn't helping the overall feel of your picture, imo.

hope that is helpful. i look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow