OM-D EM1 All the Bells & Whistles, but no meat?

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
joergzielosko Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: OM-D EM1 All the Bells & Whistles, but no meat?

Bussta wrote:

From standard view they look great, nice & sharp, but one you start to investigate further the images become watercolour like and break up very early on, not noise, but fragmented pixel blocks

I understand you downloaded sample images from the internet to judge the E-M1's image quality and to compare it with what you have (5D mkII).

To me it seems you are not familiar with the Olympus JPEG engine, which is widely praised for its colour response, but which has one speciality others might not have: there is alwasy applied a degree of noise reduction. That may lead to the watercolour-like detail rendering (especially at higher sensitivities).

You should definitely have a look at sample RAW files from the E-M1 (I am sure there are some available) and process them with the software you are familiar with.

In the past there was the option to switch the noise filter completely off (in camera and in the Olympus RAW software). Some years ago this option disappeared, but I would greatly appreciate to have it back in a "pro" camera like the E-M1. Anobody knows?

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eaa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow