how to get blurred backgrounds

Started Sep 22, 2013 | Questions thread
thebustos Senior Member • Posts: 3,117
Re: how to get blurred backgrounds

What you want is called bokeh. It's the result of having a shallow depth of field.

You need a camera with a larger sensor like an APS-C or Full Frame DSLR. Micro 4/3rds might work as well, but generally the larger the sensor the shallower you can get your depth of field.

The other thing that you need is a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or larger, preferably f/1.4 or f/1.8... To understand this better, you need to know about depth of field. Here's a good video that will help you:

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

 thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow