Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jay_akita Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

audiobomber wrote:

You've spent over $5000, and you don't have a kit that would meet my needs, i.e. no fisheye, macro or long tele lens. In a few years you'll want to update the body and you'll be shopping in the $2500+ range, where I will probably spend $1000 for a fully featured APS-C.

Yes, your kit is great, but it costs considerably more than a Pentax kit, so it should be great. APS-C is the sweet spot for me, in size, price and crop factor.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Could you build the equivalent kit with Pentax + macro + fish eye + long tele for $5k??? The 560mm alone is over 5 grand and even on this forum has received a very lukewarm response at best. Not possible, if it was, I would have bought it! I loved the K5 ergonomics and thought it was the perfect compromise of size and build quality but lens prices are off the charts nowadays and I don't agree you could get an equivalent Pentax kit for $5k with 4 lenses.  Not even close unfortunately.  I also shoot Olympus and wish that Olympus would have bought out Pentax instead of Ricoh - an EM5 / K5 hybrid with Olympus's stabilization & lens technology and Pentax's ergonomics and sensor performance would be unbeatable in my opinion.  Try shooting with an EM5 and a 45mm F1.8 wide open and you'll see what I mean...

There are countless posts on this forum from people asking for the same reasonable things over and over again from Pentax/Richoh - AF speed, C-AF/tracking AF that is useable, tele-converter, SDM type lenses that aren't so slow and with a warranty that matches the ever sky-rocketing prices, more attention to video improvements, flash units/cameras that actually expose consistently, remote flash control in-body etc etc but Pentax seems to think they're better off leading on their loyalists into a constant upgrade cycle every year???

Also, don't forget that a 4 or 5 year old Nikon D700 holds it's value extremely well - I've taken a bath on every Pentax body I've bought brand new and sold 1 - 2 years later.  I paid $1400 for my K5 and I had a hard time selling it for $500 1.5 years later for a $900 dollar depreciation!!!  I'm pretty confident I'll be able to sell my D800 in 1 year for at least $1500, likely quite a bit more...(can't imagine selling it any time soon though unless Sony makes a killer mirrorless 36x24 with some new lenses and fast on sensor phase detect AF).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ogl
ogl
ogl
ET2
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow