>>> Street Photography eXchange #62 <<<

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richy6771
Richy6771 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: thanks for the comments, david

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

Richy6771 wrote:

Wow. Me thinks you protest too much. That was a rather defensive and lengthy response to some CC. While I'm no HCB, I can appreciate when someone makes valid analyses of another's work.

well, richy, i didn't mean it to sound defensive, though i was aware that was a risk, even though as i stated, i agreed with most of david's comments.

are you saying that you think, based on the selection of recent work i posted, that it is a valid analysis of my work to criticize it for failing to explore multiple perspectives, angles, or subject distances? because i don't think that even a casual perusal of my work would support that, no matter what beer you are holding.

Chris, here's my take, FWIW.

The chief benefit of SP, for the shooter, is combining openness, discipline and letting go.

The letting go, for me, is a conscious commitment. If I miss a shot, I will myself not to mourn or regret it, but to go on the next one.

I try to be progressively more willing to let go of shots that did not work, even if they have something of value.

If PP does not work, I need to start anew, or abandon the photo.

And I have to consciously let go of my attachment to my photos when they are edited and critiqued, either by me or by other people. This is in my self interest as a person and for my art. And likewise to let go of my attachment to my opinions of my own and others' work.

It is very easy on the Net to enter a conversation in progress and say something that seems inappropriate to those who've been in it for a while like the comments you were responding to. We wouldn't be artists if we were not sensitive human beings. But it's useful to put a filter on responding to our sensitivity. This fellow was a guest in our forum, like a guest at our dinner table. We can ignore the inappropriate remark, mumble something polite, make a short wry comment, briefly disagree. It was overkill to launch into an extended defense of your work product.

I have a similar problem in that I post too often on the Internet. And, as here, often at too great length.

Words are only words. Opinions are only opinions. If the fellow thought you were an amateur, when you aren't, it would work best to let him discover his mistake over time. And, no doubt, more satisfying.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

So frank, you view this forum as your forum and I'm a guest here? I think I'm as much entitled to be here as you. And you feel that I made an inappropriate remark? Which is? And I was stating that David has a right to CC Chris's post

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow