Remote shutter release cords and the G5.....

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,635
Remote shutter release cords and the G5.....

Folks - this may appear like a simple issue (warranting a simple solution), but it's been driving me up a wall over the past month or two. OK - so here goes.

When I looked at the price of the Panasonic shutter release cord shown for the G5 (DMW-RSL1), it was $49.95 on average from various on line vendors. So I figured why not just find a cheaper clone. So on two occasions now - both off of eBay, I responded to sellers (with high ratings) by purchasing their versions of the DMW-RSL1. And in each instance - after waiting for weeks for them to arrive (from places like Hong Kong or China), I come to find out that it will not function (will not trigger the shutter).

Sure, it plugs in just fine, but somehow the electronics aren't being recognized by the camera. However, the same clone shutter release cords work fine for my GX1 - go figure.

Now again, I've purchased this cord twice now - all in hopes that it will work, but to no avail. When I contacted the sellers involved, almost to a "T," I get the broken English responses along the lines of "you cwazy because we twied cord on G5 and it fit fine." When I tried to let them know that yes, the cord plugs in just fine (that wasn't the issue), but it will not function, they couldn't understand the problem. But I did manage to get refunds, yet that doesn't solve my dilemma about getting a decently priced remote cord that will function on the G5. Right now I have 2 different 3rd party shutter release cords (all purporting to function with the G5...and don't) - yet they function fine with the GX1. And just in case you may think my G5 is faulty, I know of another guy who has a G5 and I dropped by his place the other day (with both cords...and none worked on his G5 either).

So I guess what I'm asking is, am I'm screwed with regards to trying 3rd party clone cords for the G5 - meaning I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase the much more expensive Panasonic model? Or is there a clone out there that actually works with the G5 (at this point in time, I'm a bit gun-shy about trying any more clones for fear they won't work)?

Or is there a setting on the camera I'm overlooking somehow?

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow