>>> Street Photography eXchange #62 <<<

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 15,606
Tanks, but no Think Tanks

I have a Think Tank Airport International 2.0 I bought several years ago. I used it once, when I decided to take nearly all my equipment at the time. I think I'll sell it, since I don't see using it again, and I'm getting the LowePro

Gizmodo says:

The first thing we noticed about the Airport International 2.0 was that it is about as heavy as the Lowepro, despite being much smaller. Not a good start. Aside from that, the interior is solid and deep, with a satisfactory amount of storage. The spacers inside are nice and rigid, but that no doubt contributes to the heft. While the other bags have a nice protected compartment for a laptop, the ThinkTank only provides a stretchy flap over the front of the case. It's good for quick access, but bad for protection and security. You can tightly secure a large tripod on the side, although you have to assemble a series of straps yourself, which is kind of a pain.

One of the Airport International 2.0's marquee features is THREE lock mechanisms. While these might come in handy on occasion, I would rather nix the locks, cut down the price, and just be smart about where I stow my gear.

One of the biggest flaws with this bag is the telescopic handle—when you push it all the way down, it recedes into a cavity and is annoyingly, frustratingly difficult to dig back out. You grit your teeth every time. Overall, this is a quality bag, but it has no significant advantage over the others—and that's when the small frustrations and the $350 price really add up.

Lowepro:

The X200 nails its primary function—storing gear securely in a solid, roomy, well-organized compartment. An intuitive, simple layout fits two DSLR bodies with lenses attached, 2 extra lenses, microphones, accessories, and 15-inch Macbook Pro. Small pouches on the underside of the flap are great for card storage and the like. Securing a tripod is tight and reassuring. It also has a lock on the side, which could come in handy if you need to leave your bag unattended next to a pole of some sort, but I wouldn't even consider it a real advantage.

The biggest flaw of the X200 is the blasted telescopic handle. It doesn't extend far enough! But I'm 6-foot-4, and it might not affect a smaller person as much. The only other less-than-stellar aspect to the X200 are the plastic wheels (the other bags use tough urethane).

Despite those hangups, it is generally a joy, allowing for quick access to gear that always stays securely in place. The Lowepro X200 offers simplicity, durability, and plenty of space. It's not the cheapest, but it's definitely the best.

Think Tank actually makes excellent laptop bags that fit in the sleeve and protect the laptop well. I have both a 17" (which i no longer need) and a 15"

Fred Miranda Thread:

Lowepro rollers are extremely good. I've owned both brands and prefer the Lowepro, they have better padding and better-stronger pull out handles...both critical for serious travel.

also:

I have a combination of Lowepro and Think Tank bags. For rolling backpacks and cases I use Lowepro, although I'm sure the Think Tank rolling bags are fine. Since Lowepro is replacing the original Pro Roller line, they can be found at good discounts.

So, after all the fine things I read about the Airport International 2.0, I took the time now to look at mine and see how I feel about it. I just don't like it. It seems clunky to me. I don't need to transport large amounts of equipment. I just take one camera and 2 lenses, one tiny when I travel. Maybe I'll like the LowePro better. The Think Tank just seems clunky to me. If I had to transport larger amounts of equipment, it would suit me fine.

We'll see when I get the LowePro

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow